The Low Road - Group Playtest Day

(Scott) #1

Let’s try this dev blog thing out. This will be pretty informal and might not be super content heavy, but I thought it would be nice to share what we’re up to when something out of the ordinary happens—but isn’t necessarily worthy of a news post.

Once in a while, we’re able to get a bunch of the XGen team together in the same room to test The Low Road. Today we went through the game start to finish (well…almost!) it was a great way to spend a Friday afternoon. At this point in development we’re able to go through the game and make notes about possible tweaks to scene transitions, additional camera movements or animations that may help the clarity of the storytelling. With around 32,000 words of dialogue accounting for what we think will be around 8 hours of voice over (we haven’t done a final count); there’s plenty of things for us to check and it’s a huge task for a small team like ours to test (let alone create!).

Here’s a couple photos from today:

• Scott

Edit: (woops 32,000 words! NOT 32,000 lines… we’re not Skyrim)

(Mike) #2

Yes. Dev blogs are great. Do those.

Also this looks like it was a lot of fun.

(Schall) #3

30,000 lines of dialogue is a lot! About how long will it take to beat the game?

I like seeing and reading about what you guys are up to/doing.

(Scott) #4

The play through time will vary of course… but we’re targeting around 4.5 - 5 hours.

(Scott) #5

Woops, just was told it was 32,000 words! not 32,000 lines. Still—a whole lot of words!

This is nice to see! I would like to see this more often!

(Scott) #7

We had another playtest the other night. This time with people that haven’t played the game at all! It was a great chance for us to see where new players would get stuck or frustrated. For the most part I think we had the major issues resolved already, but we came away with about 3 pages of notes and Robyn and Jed have already gone through and addressed half of the issues. One stand-out recommendation: “make the seagulls explode”.